Thursday, September 03, 2009

The ' Great White Hope' ignorant Congresswoman strikes again....she really IS a piece of work

From PAM'S HOUSE BLEND:



KS: Rep. Lynn Jenkins laughs at uninsured mom and child at forum
by: Pam Spaulding
Tue Sep 01, 2009 at 13:00:00 PM EDT

Wow. The woman who made headlines for claiming her use of "great white hope" wasn't racial has decided to open her piehole and do something equally offensive in the debate on health care reform. Topeka's U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-KS) apparently has no empathy for someone without health insurance, even when they are standing before her in a public forum. She can't even FAKE it, even when the cameras are trained on her. What does this say about the GOP's opposition tactics? Buh bye, compassionate conservatism. It's kick-your-lazy-ass-blame-the-victim wingnuttery.

So many people are working and either can't afford insurance or qualify for programs designed to fill in some of the blanks. Such is the case for Elizabeth Smith, a 27-year-old Ottawa, KS waitress who has a 2 1/2-year-old son who has not been able to see a doctor in nearly 2 years. The only access has been through the ER, which as we know, is the most expensive way to deliver care. Look at this exchange:




Elizabeth Smith: I'm a 27 year-old single mother. I work full-time. I do not have health insurance. My employer does not provide health insurance to me and I cannot afford it privately. Why shouldn't my government guarantee all of its citizens health care?

Jenkins: Thank you. I'm sorry, maybe you missed my opening remarks, but absolutely. That's why we have Medicaid in the current system and that's why under the alternative proposal we have an option for low-to-modest-income people to be able to afford health care and then we've got the SCHIP program for children. I think we've got all of the bases covered.

Audience member: She's not covered under SCHIP!

Jenkins: OK, if you're not then you're the perfect example for why we need reform and why we need it now but we have to do it right and if we can do an alternative proposal, as I'm suggesting, give you the money to go buy it in a reformed marketplace where it is affordable, that's my preference rather than to saddle the nation with yet another government program when they can't afford the government run programs we have.

Elizabeth Smith: I want an option that I can pay for. I work. I pay my bills. I'm not a burden on the state. I pay my taxes. So why can't I get an affordable option. Why are you against that?

Jenkins: A government run program (laugh) is going to subsidize not only yours (laugh) but everybody in this room. So I'm not sure what we're talking about here.

Jenkins: I think it comes down to the whole discussion of...

(The crowd erupts. At this point, it's safe to say even they aren't buying Jenkins position...)

Lynn: OK folks. Let's be respectful. UH-OH (talking over crowd). We're gonna make time for everybody. We're gonna all listen to each other respectfully, even if we disagree. I think we can agree we need reforms, again it's just how we gonna do it. I believe people should be given the opportunity to take care of themselves with an advancebale tax credit to go be a grown-up and go buy the insurance.



Jesus H. Christ. She's not bothering to listen to the personal story. If Smith asks her why can't there be health care for all, where's an answer from Jenkins that actually provides a workable alternative? "Give you the money to go buy it in a reformed marketplace where it is affordable" -- WTF kind of generic non-answer is that? Oh that's right, she doesn't really have any answers, just vague smokescreens. Excellent.

What's pathetic is that with the horrid performance of so many GOP pols out there at these town halls the spineless Dems and the White House STILL can't get their sh*t together on this and counter the lies and reality-free, compassionless behavior by elected officials like Jenkins.

Lowlife. Period.

Are we DONE with this bi-partisan bullshyt YET?

PHUCK listening to anything this woman and her ilk have to say. They'd let my Black Ass die in the street without skipping a heartbeat.

PHUCK EM.

1 comment:

Andre said...

A couple of things:

(1) As much of a low-life Rep. Jenkins is, I don't think she was laughing directly at the single mother. If anything, it was a chuckle and it COULD have been instigated more by the kid using the podium as a jungle gym. I get the whole point of bringing your kid along to put a real face to the health care discussion. But he kid being all over the place could have been distracting.

(2) The thing is: I was paying more attention to the audience. From some of the commotion I heard, they weren't against Jenkins...they were against the single mother. At one point, I even heard one person say "It's not our job to pay for your health care" or something to that effect. That to me represents the bigger issue: the anger that people have when it comes to the notion of taking their taxpayer dollars and investing in some other person's health care. The Republicans have successfully made THAT the issue. Bring as many sick babies or crippled people to townhall meetings as you want. The Republican PR machine has stolen the show AND the discussion. I hate to be a pessimist on this, but a spade is a spade.